Saturday, August 14, 2010

Jehovah Jireh--the Lord will provide

The focus of my Bible study right now is on praise. In my quiet time appointment with the Lord at 5:30 a.m. I am focusing on Jehovah Jireh--the Lord will provide. He is my provider; He is willing and able to meet every need. Yesterday the verse was Genesis 22:8, 13-14--the incredible story of God testing Abraham by instructing him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. As Abraham and Isaac went up the mountain for the horrifying deed, Isaac noticed that they had the fire and the wood, but was wondering where the lamb was for the sacrifice. Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." Later as Abraham was ready to sacrifice his only son, God stopped him and told him not to do it. "Do not lay a hand on the boy, he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." Right then "Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by his horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place The Lord will provide. And to this day it is said, On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided."

In an amazing portrayal of what was to come, Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son out of obedience to God. This sacrifice was ultimately fulfilled when God gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, as the sacrifice for our sins. Jesus was our substitutionary lamb. God himself provided the offering both for Abraham and for us. The Lord did provide. The Lord will provide. I praise the Lord that He foresaw that we would need a Redeemer, an offering; that He is my Provider, My Deliverer, My Sacrifice.

Today the verse was Acts 14:17, "Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your heart with joy." The beauty was, it was raining while I was reading the passage. I was reminded that God provides for us physically as well as emotionally and spiritually. He gives us rain, He gives us food, and He gives us joy. I followed up my appointment with the Lord with another important appointment with my running buddy. We ran 8 miles, something I couldn't have done just two months ago.

In the last couple of days I have received a couple of small checks in unexpected reimbursements --at the same time that our A/C went out and we had to have a part to fix it--the reimbursements helped cover some of the cost. God does indeed provide!

No comments:

Post a Comment