Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Daniel Fast #2--The fellowship of sharing in His sufferings

God spoke to my heart today. I've been going through out my day interceding for others. So far that's been the focus of this fast--praying for others that God brings to mind. I haven't felt overly hungry. I've really been enjoying the foods that are allowed on the fast. Today I felt that God was telling me that I need to eat less. Matthew 5:6 came to mind, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." I think He wants me to really hunger for Him, knowing that He alone can fulfill me. I need to feed on His Word. Then I heard Him say, "I want you to fellowship with Me in My sufferings." Whoa! "But God this fast is nothing compared to Your suffering on the cross for my sins. What do you mean?"

So I looked to His Word. I found the verse that He spoke to me about--from Philippians 3:10-11, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." Paul here is talking about truly knowing Christ, being filled by the Holy Spirit --having all the power of the risen Christ in me, as well as participating with Him in His sufferings. Becoming like Him in His death--dying to the self-life and living the Christ-life. Dying to self and living in and for Christ alone. In Phil. 3:3 Paul says that true believers "glory in Christ Jesus, and.. put no confidence in the flesh.." We boast only in Him for He alone can save.

Like Paul, Christ is moving me from self-centeredness to being Christ-centered.

I don't know exactly how Christ wants me to fellowship with Him in His sufferings, but I hope I will be willing no matter the cost. No matter how dark our night, how deep our despair, how horrific our tragedy, how terrible our circumstances--our suffering is only for a moment compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord and knowing the power of his resurrection--and spending eternity with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment