Monday, August 22, 2011

She is Bella

I'm reading Lisa Bevere's book titled, Nurture. In the book, she describes daughters like this: "A daughter is her father's joy and her mother's treasure because she quickens the heart. An heiress, she was hoped for and is their hope for the future. As the potential carrier and bearer of life, she is human wealth. Her creation was God's altogether lovely crown of creation, the one who completes. Daughters are the feminine form, which embodies love, beauty, hope, and tenderness. A daughter is smiles, hugs, and laughter. She is a seeker of truth who asks many questions, longing to know who she is. She is a friend and comfort in your latter years. A daughter is like a priceless pearl."

Wow. Powerful words. If you are a woman, you are a daughter. I thought of how true it is for my own sweet 5-year old daughter. The following are my additions to describe her:

She rides a pink unicorn and wears spiderman sunglasses and a Little Mermaid gown. She talks loudly and excitedly. She throws her head back and laughs heartily, from the belly. Sometimes she sings like a little songbird, like when she sings the song from Tangled, which she quickly memorized. Sometimes she sings forcefully and as loud as possible, like when she sings Jesus Loves Me in the grocery store. She sings Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer in July. She keeps frogs for pets, and she rescues turtles on the highway. She picks and eats chives right from the garden. Her favorite thing about kindergarton so far is singing the chicken song and the silly billy song. She runs in the face of the wind with her hair streaming behind her and says, "I don't care." She gives the strongest hugs and the sweetest kisses. She cries only when she is frustrated about something or with someone, or sometimes when I brush her hair. She reminds me of the Proverbs 31 woman; she laughs at the days to come. She is engrossed with TV and movies; and sometimes she has to be told to do something more than once. Her world is one of exploration, discovery, and play. She stops to look at insects and to pick flowers. She loves her big brother. She takes her time. She is flexible. She is unafraid. I laugh at her and learn from her daily. I treasure her as she does indeed quicken my heart. I see such hope and promise in her. She fulfills the essence of her namesake--Bella, which means beautiful. Her middle name, Cloe, is shared with my grandmother and mother, taken from a story about a strong and determined woman with the same name. Today I celebrate my daughter in all her beauty and strength. She is Bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment