Monday, February 13, 2012

Giving Out Of What We Don't Have

Five days ago I wrote out my prayer requests. I've done this many times before, but I've never done it like I did five days ago. This time I asked for things that are truly beyond me; things that will not come to pass without a mighty act of God. I prayed about my dreams. I prayed about things for my children and my family. Things for my church. One of the things I prayed for was that my husband and I would give out of what we don't have financially and we would see God multiply it for His purposes. This comes as my husband's job is changing from a guaranteed to a commission-only position; and with very little work coming my way. As Mark Batterson prays in his book, The Circle Maker, I started praying that God would give us "vision beyond our resources." I started praying huge things personally, financially, spiritually that God may be glorified through us. I started praying specific scriptures. Then about three days ago I felt the Holy Spirit's prompting to go prayer-walking around my church, like Joshua and his men did when they marched 7 days around Jericho. I even drove by the church, but then turned to go home, questioning what I would pray about and what people might think of me if they saw me. I thought about it again the next day; but it was cold, my family needed me, etc.... Then Sunday came. My pastor laid out his goals for meeting Remington's financial needs over the next 10 months and asked us, his congregation, to be a part of meeting those goals. Inside I smiled with joy knowing that this is the opportunity for my family to give out of what we don't have financially and to see God multiply it for His purposes. This is exactly what I was praying for. And now I know what the prayer walk is about. I'm excited to see how God is going to grow the faith of those at Ridgecrest Baptist Church; and challenge us to give out of what we don't have for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment