Monday, February 13, 2012

More of God's Promises and My Personal Definition of Success

In my last blog post I shared some of God's promises that God gave me in my quiet time reading the scriptures, praying, and reading the book, The Circle Maker. Some of these promises have already been confirmed to me through circumstances and through scriptures.

In the Circle Maker, Mr. Batterson talks about a familiar Bible story, the story of the blind man, Bartimaeus. Mark 10:46-52 recounts the story of Bartimaeus, who was on the roadside begging. When he heard that Jesus was coming he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" The people around him rebuked him and told him to be quiet. But he continued to shout for Jesus asking Him for mercy. Jesus stopped and called Bartimaeus. Bartimaeus jumped to his feet to meet Jesus. "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see." "Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

Jesus in His omniscience knew that the blind man wanted to receive his sight. But Jesus wanted Bartimaeus to tell Him what he wanted. Jesus asks us the same question: "Jenny, what do you want me to do for you?" This is what I came up with:
1) Make me holy; set apart. Enable me to live a righteous life through the power of the Holy Spirit.
2) Make me consistent; enable me to live a life of integrity in my home and elsewhere.
3) Use me to bring God glory.

I believe one of the promises God has given me for the above is Psalm 25:21, "May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, Lord, is in you."

Along with this Mr. Batterson discusses his personal definition of success. This challenged me to come up with my own. My definition is very similar to my answer above to Jesus' question of what do I want Him to do for me. Here is my personal definition of success:
1) To have an authentic faith--to live a life holy and set apart to God no matter who I'm around or what I'm doing.
2) To bring God glory by the things I do and say and in my attitudes.
3) To be a consistent, respectable, and Godly wife and mother.
4) To help others.
5) To point others to God through His Word and in prayer.

I shared the Bartimaeus story with my son, Bo. I told him that Jesus is asking him that question too: "Bo, what do you want me to do for you?" Bo immediately said, "I want Him to heal my excema." I told Bo that we will pray in faith believing that God will do it. I am praying for this that Bo's faith might increase. I'm believing my children will serve God, they will love Him first, they will obey Him, and they will testify and bring Him glory.

The question I ask myself is (harsh though it may be), "If I'm not doing anything to expand God's kingdom in my home, then what good am I as a mother and wife?" Part of fulfilling my personal definition of success and/or my calling is to do it first in my home. This morning I prayed through Proverbs 31--the perfect prayer to accomplish all of the above:)

No comments:

Post a Comment